Re: Full throttle switch

> As far as I know, the fuel enrichment switch works regardless of RPM. Get
> under the hood with the car idling and push the switch in and listen to
> your idle. As long as you have that beast floored, that switch should operate.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Hanley

Yeah, that's right.  It's certainly no mechanical mystery to see the
throttle body pulley thinger kick the switch when its wide open, and I
have used the manual closing of the switch to keep it from dying while
under the hood.  My question is why is it there?  It adjusts the mixture
to something better which means that it must not have been quite right
before the switch kicked in.  Does this mean that maybe the mixture
ratio was set to yield optimal anti-"smog" mixture, i.e. perfect burning
where all fuel molecules and oxygen molecules are used in the chemical
reaction, and that making the mixture richer provides more power?
Otherwise wouldn't the mixture be set at optimal mixture for power and
therefor no further adjustment necessary?  The other explanation that I
think I heard (I really don't know if this is what the person was trying
to convey) was that the way the mixture is set and the way the whole
fuel distribution works, the mixture "leans" out at higher RPM's and
that that is when it is beneficial to richen the mixture.  I guess that
would mean that the designers figured you wouldn't be at high RPM's
looking for more power unless you had it floored.  Anyway, sorry for
wasting bandwidth 'cause of my ingorance.  I guess I just don't really
understand this engine like I would like to.  Thanks for any help.
later

	shadrach