Clutch plate size?

     Well, the clutch has finally started to slip in the '87 Jetta and I know
that the '84 Scirocco has the 210mm clutch and that my '80 Jetta has a 190mm
clutch.  The real question is, what size is the '87 Jetta w/GX 1.8l
clutchplate?  190mm, 200mm, or 210mm?  If it is 190mm, will the clutch and
pressure plate out of my '80 Jetta work in the '87?

     Reason being, I *NEED* to save some cash and I replaced the clutch and
pressure plate in the '80 Jetta a few years back and they only have about
50,000 miles on them.

     I'm told that the Scirocco only has about 50,000 miles on it but am not
sure about that, the odo reflects 48,000+ but who knows if it actually works,
since I haven't put the transmission in it yet...

     Then again, if the '87 has larger than the 190mm clutch in it, if I
swapped the clutch, pressure plate, AND flywheel from the '80 to the '87, will
the bolt holes line up and work?

     Real reason being that I am now the proud father of a beautiful baby
girl, born this morning at 9:15am, 8lb 11oz, 22", Kylie Jordan Smith.  So I
need to divert as much of my funds to her as I can and save as much as I can
on the cars, so I need to know if I really can use the clutch assy from the
'80 in the '87.  Pulling the 210mm out of the Scirocco would be easier but I
can't be assured of it's condition.  Last time I tried re-using the old
pressure plate I ended up dropping the transmission again.  I will NOT do
that this time.  I will be replacing all of the oil seals in bellhousing of
the transmission and the rear main seal on the engine so I will not have to
do this again...at least for a while...

     Thanks.

     Sean
     wildfire@albany.net