Re: Weird happenings in 5spd town...

Dale D. Baker wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Thanks for the previous help on my rocco...unfortunately, I have another
> question now...
>
> When the car sits for awhile, I can't get it into gear...it's like my
> clutch isn't doing anything.  I checked the fluid levels and they are
> up...I don't know what to do  :(  Any suggestions?

Well, have you tried putting it in gear before you start the car?  Does
the car immediately move when the starter is cranked?  And how long does
the car sit?  If it is quite a while, the clutch disc may be rusting to
the flywheel.  I have never had this problem with vw's (probably because
I love them so much they are always being driven!).  Here's my solution
when it happens on my other stuff - put the car in 1st gear, hold the
clutch in, start the car (make sure it's clear in front as the car will
move).  Then repeatedly get on and off the gas.  This will usually break
the clutch loose.  Remember to hold the clutch pedal in while doing
this.  Good luck!

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'86 GTi