antenna

ok, you've all probably had this question posed many a time...but i
can't find the answer on any FAQ.

see, it's the antenna thing.  i've got an 88 16v with the beesting
antenna (of course).  radio no longer picks up any am signal strength
and very little fm.  i know the thing is an amplified antenna, and i
assume it's burnt out.  so i bought a replacement antenna from the
dealer :(   i know, i know, i was naive and paid much too much for the
wrong thing.  fifty lashes with a broken timing belt.  bad news, it is a
roof unit with a 3 or 4 inch line with an rca-type plug at the end for
the long line to plug into.   The existing antenna setup has a line that
runs all the way from the radio, and is permanently hooked into the roof
unit - no plug.

so here's my question(s)

1. can the part i bought be used in my scirocco.  can i purchase the
remaining line, or am i better off just picking up the *right* part

2. what's the best procedure to get this done?  i'm trying to avoid
tearing up my headliner.

if there's a FAQ out there on this subject, let me know where to find
it.
Thanks all!

-john
jgies@skandia.com
'88 16v Alpine White (I shall return...)