Re: handling comparison

At 10:31 AM 7/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey guys,
>I just bought my first Scirocco, an 87 16v.  I've had a few other VWs,
>but this is the most impressive in terms of power.  One thing,
>though...  it doesn't seem to handle nearly as good as my '86 GTi does.
>At first I thought maybe the Scirocco weighed more, but an old issue of
>VW & Porsche says there is only 60 pounds difference.  I have checked to
>make sure someone didn't remove the sway bars or something.  The car
>feels like it's wallowing down the road.  It handles well compared to a
>Chevy, but the GTi is so much better.  Any suggestions?

Sounds like your Scirocco has got old shocks, maybe? Have you done the
"bounce" test on both cars and compared the difference? They should be
about the same.

I cant fairly compare my 8V Scirocco with an 87 GTi 16V i've driven since
my Scirocco has race springs/Koni's VS the GTi's stock springs/konis. Maybe
this is something like the difference your feeling? Or is it much more
drastic?
Is the suspension on your GTi stock?

>One more thing...  my car has what appears to be a stainless steel
>header.  At first I thought this was aftermarket, but someone told me
>that the 16v Sciroccos came stock with them.  Is this true?
>Thanks for your time!
>John

As far as I know, VW never made a header (factory) out of stainless steel.
Perhaps VW motorsport made one?

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi