Re: My Scirocco is Slow

At 4:25 AM -0600 07/13/1997, Kevin McGrath wrote:
>Well not really slow, but slower than my '84 GTI now that is has the 16V
>in there. I just got it back and man it screams. I don't know if I just
>have a better maintained motor in my GTI or the weight difference in the
>GTI is significate or what but it sure seems faster. It could be in my
>mind since I don't have any times but it sure does seem fast.

Darrel, Kevin and I were talking about this recently.  Kevin has a
SciroccoS with a JH engine, FF tranny, good exhaust/intake.  It has good
compression.  Darrell had an 86 16v Scirocco (it was an 8v turned 16, right
Darrell?), and Darrell was saying that his new 84 GTI does not push the
"speed" button for him like the 16v did.  Kevin mentioned that his Scirocco
was basically as fast as Darrell's 16v - don't know the specifics, but
essentially, the Scirocco kept up with the 16v, front bumper to rear wheel
(Kevin and Darrell, correct me if I am wrong).  We all agree that 16v's
*feel* faster.  Are they?  At higher speeds, yes  Acceleration to 50-60?
Not a whole lot.  At a ProSolo style event here in Denver, I was lined up
with an 85 GTI which has a 92 16v engine and transmission - from the green,
it was essentially flat out to the middle of third in my car.  I got to
that first turn basically with the 85/92 GTI(sometimes ahead while he
waited for the light to get a bit greener;).  I have an 84 GTI with a stock
engine inside, intake/exhaust/ignition/13" wheels (better gearing).  I know
darned well that the 2.0 16v will walk away from mine in 4th and 5th, but
up through third, the 16v GTI was not noticably faster - FWIW, that 16v had
a chip, K&N, exhaust and I believe an intake cam(Kevin can vouch for this
one, I'm not making it up;).  It is nowhere near stock (or legal in SP).
So, have you had stoplight wars with your two cars, or are you basing this
on seat of the pants?  If it is the latter, you might be surprised(in a
good way).  Hope this is of interest!

Mannix