when he has a German accent. Wrner Funk and his comapadre are both from
Germany and are both well versed in the art of automotive performance.

Anyways, on to the good info stuff that Mike and I picked up on.

#1) Any spark plug can be used with the system. Whoever said that they
    must use the Silverstone plugs needs to be slapped. They recomend
    that you use the Silverstone plugs for racing or high perofrmance
    applications. (Basically if you want to get the most from the
    system, use the Silverstone plugs.)
#2) You must use the factory gap settings, preferably on the low end.
    .28 to .32 is usually teh stock limits, use .30, see what happens.
#3) Timming must be the factory setting OR 2 degrees retarded from the
    stock settings. (Our cars stock numbers are 6 degreed advance. Use
    that or try 4 degrees.

So basically, we learned that we have the wrong gap in both of our cars
for the wires. We figured that since the spark was hotter, open the gap
a bit to expose the spark to the fuel. WRONGO WE WERE! The spark is the
same energy as before, it is just delivered all at the same time. So
opening the gap in the plugs hurt our performance.

We also realized that my distributor was recurved and I currently have
15 degrees advance. The way it is, the overall advance is somewhere
like 35 degrees where stock (we think) is 38. Ive got alot of innitial
timming so as a result, I have got a ton of low end torque. (as my dyno
chart shows) We both completely forgot about this and therefore we
think this is why my 8V showed less of a power loss over the 16V. I
think were gonna have to stick the stock distributor back in and see
what happens when we take it back for a follow up dyno run.
Those 2 items right there hurt our dyno test pretty good.

What we saw:
There was some folks from Turbo and Boost magazine there with a club of
Buick Grand National people there that did a before and after Dyno run
with the Stock (well, aftermarket) 8mm sylicone plug wires and stock
spark plugs. The first dyno run showed 213hp to the wheels. (Oh, this
is a Buick V6 Turbo for those who dont know.) After installing the
Nology wires and teh Silverstome plugs, (no coil amp) they got a run of
222hp. So, the wires do work to enhance the combustion aspect of the
engine.
It is still my belief that higher HP cars get more from the Nology
system than do say a 75 hp 1.7L car.

Something also to note is that if your car is running like crap, these
wires wont fix whatever problem your car is having, If you have a
vacume leak, bad fuel mixture, uneven compression between cylinders
ect, you wont get the gains from the Nology system. Basically, if your
car is in tip top shape, the Nology system will work for you in a good
way.

So, the next step is to make the noted changes to both cars and go
redyno the cars.

More to follow in out 12 part series.....

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi
82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and