Re: Pass. Motor mount AGAIN??

At 01:04 AM 7/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>This is very odd,  I just replaced the passenger side mount on my
>87 16v a little more than 3000 miles ago and it seems to be sagging
>already??  I don't beat the car and the mount was supposed to be
>a Heavy Duty one?  My question is could the drivers side mount be
>bad, causing the pass mount to go?

Thats exactly what it sounds like. You replaced only one bad mount
forcing the new mount to do all the work, wearing it out extremely
prematurely from the sound of it. Check all of the motort mounts, I
chances are good they all need replacing.
Also if you didnt have the eng/trans aligned properly that could also
cause some additional wear on the mount but in this case, very
unlikely. (Basically the eng/trans self align themselves in the car
anyways.)
I have been told that you can install a motor mount up side down into
the housing. I guess the rubber support tab needs to be at a certain
location on the mount. Im not sure where its soposed to go but thats
the roumor mill as told to me by Walter Quidd. (As he was rumaging
through my used parts...)

>Well either way, it looks like
>I am gonna be doing the job again ='(.  Also does anyone have any
>exp. with poly pass mount?  I remember someone on the list has
>a VW motorsport mount,  whats it like? how much did it cost?

You might not like the Poly mount. Then again, it might be the very
ticket you wanted! Its very firm and transmits alot of vibration and
sound into the rest of the car. I have the front TT motor mount. Its
nice, firms up the engine movoment for me over the softer stock front
snubby mount. VW motorsports mounts are firmer, nicer and are kind of
expensive too. The trans side mount doesnt get much wear according to
the Potterman. So that makes me think that the passenger side mount and
the rear tranny mount should be VW motorsports mounts. The front maybe
a TT mount and the passenger side stock. Piecing it together might be a
little cheaper than buying the whole VW motorsports mounts. (Might not
too!)
I just sorta proved Mikes theory about the trans mount. Autotech doesnt
even list a tranny side mount in their catalog. So, once again it
sounds like Guru Mike is right. Here is what I found in my catalogs for
you:

Autotech:
front mount (poly only) $16.30
side motor mount. $16.95
rear trans mount $39.95

TT:
front mount $15.00
side motor mount. $24.00
rear trans mount $32.00
Whole kit as a set $80.00

Velocity:
VW Motorsport front mnt $12.95.  Poly $12.95
Side motor mount. $19.95 Poly$14.95.  8V OEM $19.95. 16V OEM $34.95
VW Motorsport rear trans mount $29.95. Poly $24.95.  OEM $19.95

Push comes to shove, call the Potterman and see what kind of deal he
can work for you.
HTH!

Shawn
86' Jetta GLi