Re: Headlite Relays?

At 18:03 7/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 11:41 PM 7/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>I'm finally getting around to installing relays on my headlights.  One
>>problem - I'm not sure how to set them up.  I figure two 30 amp relays is
>>enough for the 400W of high beams I'm running, but I don't know where the
>>relays will fit in.  I've looked at the Bentley diagram, and understand it,
>>but should the inboard H1s get a relay, and then the outboard H4s get
>>another, or should the left and right side lights get one each?  I'm
>>assuming the former option is the better, but I'm not entirely sure how to
>>wire up relays to the H4s.  Can anyone help?

The 400 W load will draw 33.3 amps at 12 V. If you use one 30 A relay per
high beam you will have plenty of safety at the relay.

The relays should be as close as possible to the loads (lamps) or wired with
HEAVY wire to avoid voltage drop. Putting them close is the easiest way -
especially since the wire to the battery and fuse (don't forget the fuse!)
can be short, too. Use #10 AWG wire for 30 amps for the short run.

Use sealed relays and coat all the terminals with Vaseline or grease after
wiring, and you should have no problems with corrosion. Of course, put the
relays behind the radiator support where they will be shielded from road
splash..

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (almost finished)