Re: I have to bitch (Jason's problems)

Hulda Jowett wrote:

> Sounds like a bunch o noisey lifters, my 16V makes lots of
> funky noises, I can't find anything wrong top or bottom, other
> than lifters that is.
>
> There are no guides, the chain is tensioned as the intake cam is
> tightened down into position.
> Later,
>
> Brian
That's true Brian.

JASON, don't know the chain is your problem, but for whats it
worth I had a very similar noise in my 16v
a few months after I bought my 16v a few years ago. With mine,
the previous owner had blown the timing belt and so the intake
valves became shot. In fixing up the head, it turns out the
morons cheezed out and didn't replace the $17 CANADIAN cam chain
that drives the exhaust camshaft from the intake one
(which is driven by the timing belt).

Anyways, mine loosened up with age, which I'm sure is due to the
stresses it received when the engine blew at high rpm...and started
to flop around and sound in many ways like you describe your
engine sound. To diagnose it, remove the cam cover and have
a look at it. It should be extremely tight and not 'droop' in
the centre when you press down on it. Replacing mine saved my
engine and got rid of the gawd awful noise which had me scared
to rev the engine beyond 2000 rpm. While you have the cam cover
off, now is the time to check for any bad lifters. And if you have
to replace the cam chain, replace any bad lifters at that time while
you have the cams off.

A pretty obvious suggestion follows which you've prob. tried.
But first thing I would do is confirm that the noise is in fact
from the valve train assembly..pop the hood and manually rev the
engine with your ear to the head...That should tell you if the
culprit is from there.

I know how you feel about not driving to Waterfest. I'm not only
driving but not going due to other committments..My fuba will
remain black '-( . I will be however visiting the Kingston
Bugfest which should have over 100 cars (WEENIE w.r.t the fest!)
according to the organizers. I'll report on any noteworthy
roccos.

LATERZ,

---
K.E.B.