Re: Gear oil

On 29 Jan 97 at 11:24, Brian M. Gracek wrote:

> You can't go wrong with Redline or Amsoil (of course I know Amsoil
> is "better") I suggest you avoid Mobil 1 ... I read at one time in
> the watercooled FAQs that M1 may be problematic for VWs (no
> scientific data to prove this).  I can sell you Amsoil.  Redline may
> be mail ordered from New Dimmensions @ (408) 980-1691 (California
> #).

In my recent research on this topic, I have to agree with the above
post for the most part.  In the FAQs, a few also say the VW synthetic
is also good, but that it's usage is for newer VWs mostly.  I'm also
unsure that Amsoil is better than Redline (Redline wins the
usenet/FAQ poll for most preferred) but I have found nothing to prove
otherwise :)

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA