CC: Airbox snorkel?

At 02:58 PM 1/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Awesome Shawn- I did the same mod as you on mine and noticed
>similar results- watch out for that deep puddle!
>Nice to know youre still around-
>Paul
>'84 S2 GTi 16v

Ya, im here. I got all caught up in other things......
Speaking of puddles, I did run through a 2-1/2 puddle on sunday on my
way to a race. I didnt know it was that deep until I was in it. It was
raining at the time and well, you know what went through my head. I
stopped, got
 out and checked under the hood.

annology:
Get a straw, put a small hole in it anywhere it will be above the level
of your soda (or whatever your drinking with a straw!). Suck away. it
wont get sucked above the hole because the air is easier to flow than
water. My airbox is FULL of BIG holes so I didnt have that problem. I
checked it right afterwords and the airbox was dry. (THANK GOD!!)

So swiss cheezing the airbox is a definate plus for those unexpected
moments when were scooping water with the air intake scoope!

*BTW* For those who care, or know of him. Sunday at Norton AFB I beat
the National DSP Champion Tom Berry in his Mazda RX3 with my little ol'
Scirocco!  (By a solid 6 tenths of a second!)

Shawn