Re: Heater core?

If your core is leaking, you will smell it.  The antifreeze will smell sweet.
Not to mention it is a sticky liquid and has color.  Also watch your coolant
level in the overflow tank or radiator neck.  Going down ---> coming out.

Check the windshield gasket for leaks. This could be a source of water.  Look
for water at the bottom corners of the windshield on the inside.

On my '78 I run the heater control towards the left side (less than a third
of the total travel) and I cook.  It's been that way from the dealer.  When I
want to drive with the window open in the winter time, I move the control to
the right and it's comfortable.  Sound like your cooling system need some
looking at. (Maybe a clogged heater core)

Good Luck.
SailingFC@aol.com(Dick Wong)