Trans update, dealer's ok !

First let me thank everyone who replied and gave advice on my swiss
cheese tranny :)

The consensus is that the dealer did no wrong and there was no way
they could have known it going to fail.  I kinda knew this, but
really was hoping that someone could convince me otherwise :)

The dealer would be perfectly entitled to charge me full price for
replacing the trans (and disc again).  This is how it shakes out:
They're charging me 1/2 labor and letting me keep the loaner at no
charge until it's done (and I can afford to pay them, which will be
next Friday 1/24).  I have to pay for a new disc and new seals (if I
get a used trans).  Since I'll be using their car for free for at
least 2 weeks, I figure I got one hell of a deal here.  Nice guys at
this dealer who feel sorry for my misfortune :)
I can't bitch at all.

They are also letting me take some time to find the best deal on a
trans and willing to wait for me to pay them, all the while using
their loaner.

My final dilemna (besides figuring where all this money is coming
from) is which trans to get.  I found a used code 4K trans from an 84
Scirocco that the guy claims is a wide ratio (which I prefer).  Can
any one confirm that this is in fact a wide ratio?  The used one has
a 30 day warranty (standard stuff).

Another option I came up with is to completely rebuild mine,
including either welding my bell housing, or replacing it at the
rebuilder's discretion for $595.  The warranty here is what makes
this sound so appealing:  2 years parts AND labor.  I need to ask how
much extra it would cost for a tall 5th gear, or I could just do that
at a later date.  My trans is a close ratio.

The drawback is that I've already sunk about $700 into the clutch,
seals and mount job and if I get the rebuilt it pushes the total to
around $1500.  Of course, going used only saves me $300 and basically
no warranty.

Thanks again to all who took time to help me.  If you have info on
the 4K tranny, I'd sure appreciate it.

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA