Tranny wanted (Mark, from Adirondack?)

During a recent trip to Chicago, my tranny (which lately had begun to
make strange noises, and 5th popped out quite often) gave up. I can
easily make it to 4th, no 3rd at all, and 1st and second need
double-clutching to engage. It looks like one or both of my bearings are
shot.

I have an 85 8V Scirocco, and I would like the same tranny as the
replacement (ie, short ratio). Does anybody know of a place with fairly
clean/reliable trannys? I don't want to pay an arm and a leg --that's why
I am not getting a rebuilt one-- and I will do the swap myself (which
gives me a nice excuse to also replace the clutch).

Any help/tips from out there?

Ilias