I'm shocked

Last week (Tues) I picked up my Rock at the dealer after they
installed my new clutch (and seals) and was delighted that I could
zip around again.  Sure I was $400 lighter in the wallet, but a
blizzard forced me to take it to them and have them install my parts
that I got from list-member Mark.

On my way home from work yesterday I thought I felt something a
little funny, like a wee bit of a slip from my shiny new clutch.  As
I sat waiting for a ferry (that's a boat guys) I smelled a faint
smell of gear oil.  I was hoping it was coming from one of the other
vehicles waiting for the ferry.

As I pulled off the ferry and headed up a fairly steep hill, I
punched it where the speed limit goes up, like I always do.  I love
to take a bunch of cars by surprise before the road cuts down to one
lane.  There it was a gain.....a momentary slip of the clutch.  Now I
knew there was something wrong.  I was still smelling gear oil, so I
knew that the odor was indeed from my car.  When I got home and
parked it, the odor was intense and I looked under the tranny to find
a small pool of gear oil.  Now I'm really pissed !

I wrote a note for the dealer noting that they had installed the new
trans seals with the clutch and dropped my little rocket at the
dealer.  I was fearing the worst after reading the horror stories
about VW dealers on usenet.  I figured since I supplied the parts
(genuine VW) they would try to tell me it was a defective seal and
want to charge me again.  I was ready to assume the position.....
and fight like hell.

The the service manager called me at work, and the sweat starting
forming on my brow.  He said "Rick, we checked your car and we
screwed up putting the trans seal in.  We ordered a new one, but it
won't be here till Monday.  We're replacing the seal and the clutch
disc for you.  Drop by , I have a Passat you can use till we get your
car done.  I apologize for the mistake."

I was shocked !!!  They actually did exactly what I wanted, but never
thought they would.  A VW dealer doing the right thing !  How
uncommon :)  Just thought you'd like to hear a good story about a VW
dealer for once.  Anyone can make a mistake, but at least Whidbey
Island Volkswagen/Mazda is one dealer that is actually honest !

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA
(On Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound)