Hesitation/Jerky acceleration

Ok i know this is one of those things that could be attributed to at least 20
things but I'm going to ask anyway (if anyone has a few good ideas let me
know..)

Sometimes my car sputters and jerks mildly when accelerating.  They arent
violent jerks, and it doesnt really hamper my acceleration but i know it is
not right.  I can hear irregular 'popping' comming out of the exaust which
makes me think one of my cylinders is working on/off.

Just off the top of anyones head - does this sound like bad spark plugs or
fule injectors? Maybe a vaccume leak?
Thanks for any ideas