Re: G grind in DSP?

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, I.Mannix wrote:

> I was asked this offline, thought it might be good discussion!
>
> >I have been told that I can use the G-Grind cam in SP.  Is this true.
> > The G-grind cam is supposed to be a stock replacment.

The G-Grind is a common IT modification that is allowed by the rules (or
their general application = it passes tech). The cam can make a differnce
on a 1.6 , but it must be very carefully matched with intake (ie FI)
tuning and exhaust selection / tuning. Talked to one IT tuner that stated
the cam should be used with a 4 into 1 header with a >=42" staight
(before the first bend) 2" exhaust system. He had the dyno numbers to
draw this conclusion.

It is my personal opinion that mild cam upgrades can either help or hurt
overall performance, dependent on both driver "style" and driving
conditions. Really analize your driving style and where you are on the
power-band when you need more power. Your style may suit a real "piper"
cam or it may best be served by a "grunt" , > torque cam (like the
g-grind). I am no expert, but I do like to observe and experiment. What
seems to work for one guy can often work against another.

Harry

Yes, I have the G-Grind in my car :)