Re: Timing, etc.

At 09:12 PM 2/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>when timing a engine without the knock sensor dont forget to:
> unplug the vacuum advance from the distributor, you'll hear the engine
speed
>change (drop? I cant remember)

it wont make any difference at idle.

> Plug it with a screw/golf tee

It doesnt matter, you can leave it open if you like or not. You get to choose
either or.

Something that you missed and may or may not be important is the step of
disconnecting the "Digital Idle Stabilizer" and connecting the plugs
together. (found under the rain tray, drivers side,  next to the fuel control
box.) (also Im not sure if this applies to 16V's, YMMV) This was discussed
earlier about this little black box being responsible for making cars stop
running for no reason. Disconnecting this and leaving it this way solved my
problem. (Even tho I replaced 3 boxes and they all at one time or another
made the car shut off while driving.) Well, disconnecting this little box
while setting the timming will help with the idle jumpyness a little.
 I think the book even says to do this? I think its something to do with cars
with A/C or???

> set the timing.

See how easy it is. Just remember to let the car get good and warm, take your
time with the timming since the timming will jump around for no aparent
reason. Set the timing where you want it, snug down the bolt on the dis
tributor and "blip" the throttle. (rev it once, real quick). Then check the
timming after it has a second or two to stabilize.

>Knock sensor cars dont require any setup.

As far as the prep, no. Theres nothing to disconnect or plug together or cap
off. Its just the routine of getting the car warm and setting the timing.

Shawn