Re: autocross helmets

>I was just curious of what kind of helmets everyone uses when they
>autocross.  Especially the mk1 people.  I am going to be in the
>market for a new helmet soon and was curious if anyone has had any
>bad, good, horrible or really good experiences with thier helmets.

I use an AGV full face.  I wanted to use the HJC thermoplastic openface,
because it is cheap, BUT, the XXL HJC is NOT Snell approved.  I tried on
the XL/checked the Snell sticker, yes, certified, but a bit small....tried
on the XXL, fit better, assumed that it would be Snell approved too.  It
was not.  Wound up with the AGV full face as it was 1) relatively
inexpensive and 2) fit in my car.  Make sure the helmet fits in the car
with it on your head - I found that some did, some did not.  The helmet
must be Snell 85 or better - make sure there is a Snell sticker IN the
helmet (the one on the back is NOT the one tech people will look for) - the
sticker is normally under the padding - it has to say Snell85, 90 or 95.
I'd guess at this point you'll wind up with Snell 90 at least if you go to
a motorcycle shop and buy one.  I think my AGV was $160, but the guy gave
me a deal on it because he felt he screwed up - when I brought the HJC/xxl
back, he knew *exactly* why I was there as I walked in the door.  I believe
the HJC was $120.  I see no need to buy Bell/Simpson/etc helmets for Solo,
honestly - the auto racing specific helmets are spendy, the SCCA
(notoriously conservative) feels OK with motorcycle helmets, so I do too.
If I ever get into roadracing, I might have to buy a new helmet, but I know
I am not going to be getting into roadracing anytime soon.  Hope this helps!

Mannix