head questions

I am currently rebiulding (somewhat) a JH and I have some questions.
Should I replace the valves? I know crud builds up on the valves so
would it be worth it replacing them altogether?   Should I upgrade the
valve springs?  I hear I can upgrade the valve springs to help the
engine at high RPMs.  And lastly should I have the head ported and
polished?  If so how much, ballpark figure, does it cost?  The engine
has about 100 thousand miles.

                                      Jay
'80 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco V12 turbo 9000 quattro