Re: Harness

At 01:23 AM 2/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Prepare for some harsh words here, but a reality check......

I'm "strapped in"....

> >I think that a harness is pretty safe, but:
>
>> 1.  It's a bitch.
>> 2.  If you get in a "flammable" accident, you're gonna burn, pal.
>If this is your advise for a driver who seeks your advise and respects your
>opinion, either educate yourself or keep your opinion to yourself. Doing so
>might save his life someday.

Here we go taking things 100% literally... That was merely my way of saying
how most harnesses, MINE INPARTICULAR, don't get sucked back w/ the push of
a button like a seatbelt does.  You have to allow for a few more seconds.
With MINE (because this is all about personal experiences, right?) you
"click," and then you loosen at least 2 belts and your out.  You can loosen
all 4 to prepare it for when you come back, but that's just a matter of
preference.  I'm sorry if I worded it SO poorly that one person couldn't get
the jist of what I was saying.

I'm sorry, but I do NOT buy stuff for my car in anticipation of a firey
accident.  I don't think anyone else does either, so why would I give advice
based on that?  That is what I would like to call "worst case scenario."  I
buy stuff for my car to make it handle better, and to make it go faster, for
when those flashing red/white lights show up in the rear-view.  And don't
give me any crap about outrunning the radio.  It's been done.  (I'm just
picking another fight here, aren't I?)  This one's for Jay Docherty.  ;-)

>>for daily driving,  they drape over my seat and I sit against them.
>> I don't use seatbelts for daily driving.  If I did, it'd be a toss-up
>> between the harnesses and the stock belts.
>
>So, aparently your life isn't worth a simple "click". Again, this is foolish
>advise to hand out and I hope anyone who has read this is smart enough to
>realize this.

???????  The part about me sitting against my harnesses:  do you see any
other words there like:  "This is what I do and I suggest you do the same.
If you don't, you're dumb."  ????  I was JUST telling him how I use my
harnesses.  THAT IS ALL.  I can't believe the way you're interpretting this.
It's outrageous.  And I'll decide just what my life is worth, okay?  I
respect your decision to wear the belt, and I would expect the same courtesy
from you.  I have never forced my opinions on other people; why must you??

>So don't use the harness if you have a passenger in the rear, use the stock
>belts.

Duh.

> Well, you do the math. Which do you think is safer? The 5pt by far, followed
>by the 4pt, then the 3pt Schroth (or equivallent) and then the 3pt stock.

Well, I still think that any aftermarket harness, whether it be 3/4/5pt are
all ABOUT the same safety-wise.  I've never been tossed-about in my Schroth
3pt in a way that would've been handled better by a 4 or 5pt.  They keep you
in.  Period.

>And last, why do you think harnesses are requried in every form of racing
>(except for carting, due to the roll-over factor, but a whole different
>situation entirely)? SAFETY, man, not just for laughs.

Yes, they are MUCH safer than stock belts.  MUCH.  Especially in a race
environment.

Just for the sake of conversation, though, rules can be bogus in any
situation.  This is certainly off topic, but it's something that I noticed
just a few days ago:  Snowboarders must have a leash on their board attached
to their leg.  However, I have NEVER seen a snowboarder become disconnected
from his board.  EVER.  Skiers are not required to have this leash, but
everytime I go down a mountain, I pass by several skiers picking up their
equipment.

Tawlk amungst yourselves.

Chris Taylor
'87 Scirocco G60-to-be