Re: brake lines

>        I agree with Chris that they are nice, but be careful.  The front
>lines can snag on the strut and start breaking the SS strands, that teflon
>can't handle pressure on it's own.  I blew out one of these brake lines

<<snip>>

I figured I'd put in my 2c.  I don't like SS brakelines either - I have
seen more ss brakelines fail than OEM/rubber.  Think about it.  I'm
something of a motorhead, sure, I see more SS lines than most people,
BUT.....think of how many hundreds of thousand rubber lines are out there
vs. steel - then consider that brake line failure is somewhat uncommon -
they basically don't, unless they are very old or something is wearing on
the line (I had one go that way).  Now, think of SS lines - most are not
very old, right?  They are as susceptable to wear, if not more than rubber
- but we can control abrasion.  They seem to just sorta pop occasionally.
I have never seen (although I am sure it has happened) a rubber line just
pop.  I have owned 4 brakelines that failed - one steel hose (not flexible)
- rust.  One rubber yanked off by a rock (Jeep, woods, etc).  One on my
GTI, wore through on the strut housing, and the fourth did not fail - the
rubber was starting to wear on my GTI just recently, so I changed it.

I've seen four SS lines at autocrosses in the past 3 years just fail.  I've
heard many other stories, but I've only witnessed 4.  The above 4 lines
that went bad happened over 10ish years.  In my experience, SS lines are a
gamble.  For a racecar/something not driven often, umm, maybe?  Not for me.
On a street car?  Not on my car!  No way - I've seen too many go.  I
could'nt drive with a clear mind with them.  YMMV.  Best of luck, keep an
eye on them - brake line failure typically coincides with an increase in
pressure, IE, you're trying to stop.  *I* normally have a reason to stop;).

Mannix