Re: Headers

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Jay Docherty wrote:

> I need to buy a new exhaust system for my mk1 scirocco.  My original
> plans were to go all techtonic.  But a techtonic header (4 to 1)
> costs about $350 which I don't feel that dedicated to buy.  So I
> would like to buy a cheaper header.  Autotech?  Tri-Y?  I would like
> to spend 200 or less.  Anyone have any ideas?

What I want and what I can afford are very different matters :) I too
needed the < $200 header and I chose the AutoTech "Tri-Y" , about $150.
The header is pre-drilled / tapped for O2 sensor and fit was 100%
correct. The 4 into 1 makes more horses, but hp cost! The AutoTech comes
with a nice spring-loaded swivel to lessen the risk of cracking.

Another note on headers and Rocco's, don't wrap the thing in insulation
tape. You can do it and "maybe" get +1 hp, but the header will very
quickly become VERY brittle (aka - "Fall Apart")

Harry