Synthetic revisited again

Shadrach, I don't get it. How many miles are on the engine?  First you
implied that it was old.
>Wow.  Just changed to synthetic 2500 miles ago, after much reading and
>contemplating.  Before the synthetic, I had a valve cover gasket leak,
>bad.  It was just sorta flowing over the entire front edge of the head
>and down the motor.  Needless to say, this left a nasty, gunky, sludgy
>residue all over the front of the motor, looked like your basic leaky oil
>130K car.  Now... with the synthetic oil, it leaks, worse, I heard it's
>supposed to (might be because I took off the cover and put it back on)
>>>Anyway, just wanted to share my synth experience on an
>>>old engine.

Then you say it is relatively new..."26k".
>Oh.  I guess I'd heard it shouldn't be put in older cars but I didn't think
>that "over 10k miles" was considered old.  If that's the case then I should
>expect more problems since my engine already has 26k miles on it already.
>Darn it, and I was hoping to get 100k out this engine!

    If your car is 10 or so years old and only has 26k on it then your
seals/gaskets are probably leaking due to drying up and cracking. That
happens.
    I only started this "debate" when I thought you had an "old" motor.
 Still, you won't catch me switchin until I rebuild mine.  I have rebuilt
engines for friends and I convinced them both to use synthetic oils but only
after I replaced everything.  I guess I just don't like taking them apart for
the same thing twice especially if it isn't my car that I am working on.
     I think I saw something a long time ago about synthetics leaking really
bad from transmissions that hadn't had their seals changed on Jan's page.
 Anybody remember where that is?? Granted, I know diff. and tranny main seals
are prone to leaks anyway.  O well. good luck Shad

-->DANMAY
-->'8716vScirocco
-->'83gti