Laws. (was Re: Engine mods..what to do?...A Deep Debate!)

 At 07:02 PM 2/17/97 -0600, you wrote:

> Well, I can live and sleep well with speeding, plenty fine. Its another
one of
> those laws designed to protest us and only turns out to be a way to
produce
> revenue for the city/state. I feel you should be able to drive whatever
speed
> you want, as long as traffic and weather conditions permit it. The
problems
> with that are there are people who are simply incapable and/or not
responsible
> enough to do it safely.
> Its just another way big bro is dipping their fingers to our pockets. Its

> kinda like the helmet law here in Ca. So what. There are more car-car
> accidents where people are hurt with head injurys, why not make us wear
> helmets too? Why not get rid of the dangerous shoulder belt and make us
wear a
> Schroth type system? Baby seats have them, why dont we have em' too?
> This can just go on and on. :)  It really never ends, so the bottom line
is
> you simply got to be responsible for yourself and your actions. (Kinda
like
> what your saying.)

For the most part I agree with you.  However I do believe that speed limits
can help to keep people alive.  As long as the nations laws, lawmakers and
courts continue to regard driving as a right and not a privelege, we will
continue to have people on our streets and highways that I would not trust
to cut my lawn, with safety scissors.  Much less drive a 1-2 ton piece of
steel, rubber and glass on the same piece of asphalt as myself.
Unfortunately, our country has steered away from the concept of personal
responsibility.  Hence the ability to sue Smith and Wesson if your child is
killed by a psychopath who just happens to be wielding one.
If there was actually a real, comprehensive drivers education program
implemented, then MAYBE it would be possible to set speed limits that we,
as enthusiasists, would like to see.
As for speeding, I do it to.  It's not me I'm worried about though.  It's
the 16 year old with no drivers ed., in his mommy's 4000lb sedan, going 90
in rush hour traffic that worries me.
Aaron
'79 Scirocco S, 1.9l, 1850lbs, lotsa fun.
(soon to be)'87 16V

"Listening to music is listening to all noise, realizing
that its appropriation and control is a reflection of
power"
 Noise - The Political Economy of Music. Jacques Attali.