Re: Deep thoughts of yesterday's autocross.....By Jack Handy

At 11:22 AM 2/17/97 -0700, you wrote:

>OK, had an autocross yesterday.  I promised I'd post my
>thoughts/felings/insights of my new suspension, so here goes.
-----------------Major snippage--------------------------------

My only thought is that with the improvement of the chassis, it sounds like you
werent able to go someplace secluded and test the new suspension? It sounds like
you need to go out and push the car beyond its new limits to figure out exactly
how much better and how much further it can be pushed? It also does take some
time to get comfortable to a new suspension setup. Habbits of the old suspension
are hard to break. I still find myself lifting through the turns when I know I
can stand on the gas.
Maybe im not telling you anything new but I was told this by a fellow racer and
it really makes for a good driving pre-race plan.This works especially good when
you know your getting 4 runs. Otherwise its out the window.
When you go out on your first run, drive slow, and drive the exact line you want
to drive so the next time your on course, it will be more of a memory thing than
trying to remember, "Oh yeah, I wanted to be over there on this turn", ect. Does
that make sence? It sounds kinda washy and by no means do you have to be grandma
on the course, just lift a little earlier and go easier on the throttle on your
first lap. it helps me, even though mid way through the first lap, im hard on
the gas and late braking....... Im still trying to enstill this mental essence
in my helmet while on course. Ive by no means perfected it, yet!

>got out, he did two more runs in it - got to a 66.118.  F***ING A RIGHT!!!
>Makes me really happy, it is not the car that contributes to my times, it
>is the driver.

You damn Skippy! Randy says he can drive my car fasterthan I can. Id like him to
do it just so I will know it is possible to go faster. Maybe if he comes to the
sat practice on the 15th, ill get him to drive it. At the same time, i'd like to
believe that nobody can drive MY car faster than I can! (ego thing, ill get over
it.)

>  It's the driver.  He's good, and even though he does not
>know it yet, he's going to Nationals in September.  As should all of you -
>get your SCCA memberships, if you don't already have one, get to a
>Divisional or Tour (need one to qualify - you don't have to win, just go),
>and head to Topeka in September.  Got it?  Cool.

Im thinking about going. (It depends on logistics and most of all, money!) Just
to experience it once in my life. I dont plan on doing well, not on my first
year but it should be a great experience. (Sure i'm willing go to Kansas and
your sorry butt wouldnt even go to laughlin? I see how you are!) Time will tell.

Nice report Mr. mannix!

Shawn