Painting steering wheel etc.

Another Mk.1 question.  I want to paint the metal spokes of my stock
steering wheel matte black.  What's the best way to do this?  Are the
spokes steel or aluminum and how should I prep the surface?

My car seems to have almost 2 inches of space between the top of the tire
and the bottom of the fender lip, making it look like an off-road vehicle.
Is this the normal stance?  By the way, it has the 14" teardrops with
185-60-14s.  On top of this, the upper strut bearings are way worn, with
almost 3/4" of separation from the metal plate.  Does this mean that if I
replace them, the front end of the car will be raised another 1/2 - 3/4"?
It already has that unsightly sagging-in-the-rear look.  Ugh.

Thx for any insights. benton--------