Re: Problems...

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Brandon Sommerville wrote:

> Bucking.  Today on the highway it started bucking like hell.  Pulled over
> and stopped for a minute.  Tried to go again and as soon as I cleared 3Gs it
> bucked massively again.  After talking to my mechanic he suggested limping
> in to the city.  Frustrated I tried it again and it worked without a problem.
>
> My mechanic says he suspects it might be the fuel pump, but he won't replace
> it because the problem is so intermittent that that might not be the
> problem, and he doesn't want to lighten my wallet by $300 to replace it
> (thank god for honest mechanics).
>
> Based on what I've outlined, has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Absolutely. Exact same thing on my 85. Especially when it got hot, the
car would barely run, but ran a lot better at night when it was cooler.
It is the main fuel pump. You can get a new Bosch pump, for $120 or so
and can install it yourself in less than 1 hour. In my case the bucking
got worse and worse and after a month I could not run more than 30mph.
If you want to be 100% sure, you can test the delivery rate (follow your
Bentley, it is simple).

Ilias