gauge's, dash's, and stuff

<<<        While replacing my dash and speedo/odo unit, I noticed that there
are two lamp holes right below the high beam, charge, and directional
indicators.  They are both under red unmarked windows. Both are wired up to
the main harness.  Anyone know what these are for?  This leads me to: >>>

I read this in a Bently's manual i think. These lights are for different
models of the car. Like my '81 Scirocco S doesn't have EGR since it's not
the Canadian model, it's a CA model, but the EGR idiot light it still there,
just not hooked up. The OXS light is because i have an O2 sensor. I dont
remember what those 2 lights are though. (I have them too.. not hooked up)

<<<        I've always been annoyed and worried that my steering wheel blocks
the view to the oil pressure warning lamp.  It's the kind of warning that I
want to be aware of RIGHT NOW.  After noticing the two empty lamp holders,
I added a wire from the positive terminal of the oil pressure lamp to a
lamp I put in one of the two open slots (after masking the copper foil
that's there with electrical tape) and now I have a secondary warning lamp
right in the middle of the dash where I can see it.  It seems to work,
meaning it lights up at startup and goes off when the "real" one does.
Anyone else done this or have a better way of doing it?  >>>

sounds like a good idea! i might try it.

 <<<      I moved the oil temp, clock, and a voltmeter gauge into the radio
slot using a Zender adaptor.  Now I can actually see them.  Bad thing is
that there is no place for the radio.  The console is too narrow for a
stereo so for now my radio is hanging from wires in the passenger side
footwell.  My S has a different console which is wide enough to fit a
stereo but doesn't have the ashtray/lighter module since it's where the
center vents are in my present car.  Is there a wide console with the
lighter?  Where else can I put a radio?  I guess the glovebox is a
possibility although I'd like the keep it if possible?  Any suggestions
welcome. >>>

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing. Where did you get that
adaptor? I saw it at Autotech for 25 bucks. a little pricey. I could
probably make it myself. And i was thinking of putting the stereo in the
center console of my 1981 S. Is it an easy fit? It has to be sturdy too
because it's a big fat CD player. cant shake around.

Kevin

'81 Scirocco S --always under construction