RE: Transmission rebuild at Bellevue MS

On 21 Jan 97 at 13:54, Scott Stiles wrote:

> Thanks for the information. I've generally been pleased with
> their work in the past.
> If you don't mind, I'd love to hear how things work out.

Ok, it's done nad I'm sure all of you have been waiting for this
update.  If not, delete now so I don't bore you :)

I picked up the trans last Friday.  The cost was $100 over the
original quote for a total od $777.53.  This included 2 qts of
Redline gear oil.  The extra $100 was due to the fact that Dennis at
BMS told me the used bellhousing was included in the rebuild price of
$595, but when the guy who does the rebuild picked it up, he told him
that he now charged extra for it.  They called to inform me of this
before the rebuild was done.  Since I hadn't gotten a written
estimate, I had no choice but to go for it.  Plus, I had no time to
find other options, as the dealer was waiting for the trans and their
loaner back.  I still figured it was a good deal with the 2 year
warranty.

It was supposed to be done Thurday, but I didn't get it until late
Friday afternoon.  Dennis had warned me that his rebuilder was kind
of independent, but did excellent work.  I dropped the trans at the
dealer Sat and they had it done Tuesday eve.  The bill there was
$275.  I had to pay 1/2 labor, new disc, plus they called to tell me
the starter died and I had to fork out $50 for a used starter.  Since
I had trouble with it last month, I figured they were being honest.
The bendix was ****ed up, which I knew was the problem.  After seeing
the old one, it verified this.  They also replaced the negative
battery cable and one other related cable for free, as they screwed
them up somehow.  They also replaced the negative terminal and
charged me $3 for that, no big deal.

All in all, Oak Harbor VW treated me well, and I made sure to tell the
service manager that.  He also responded that the reason he cut me
some breaks was that I was reasonable with them and didn't have crazy
demands.  Having some mechanical background helped me.  I did suggest
that they could use a little more knowledge of VWs and suggested they
get on the net.  He took this criticism well, and said he had plans
of doing that.  I also promised to give him Mark's info as a parts
source.  I first got Mark's ok for that.

The car seems to be working normal.  I've driven it @ 650 miles and
all seems well.  The shifting seems just a tad easier, not a big
difference.  I was expecting more of a difference from all the new
parts and the Redline oil, but I guess my trans was in good shape
before.  If only someone had put those 10 cent clips in the
differential before, I could have saved a lot of hassle and money.

So hopefully this chapter in the life of my Rocco is over and I can
move on to the exhaust, RF motor mount and all the other things it
needs.  Total cost of the clutch and subsequent trans failure was @
$1800.  YIKES !!!!!  Could have been worse, but if it I had the time
and place to do the work, it would have been @ $1200.  But I would
have had to rent a car and buy some tools and equipment, so I didn't
do too bad.

At least I got my rocket back and my butt no longer hurts on the long
commute to work :)  Now I need to get a few more items from Mark
before I tackle the remaining motor mount.  I've also noticed some
vacuum lines in need of replacing.  Anyone now what sizes and total
lengths I'll need to replace all of the damn things at once?  It
never ends........

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA