Re: CAUTION on sunroof, some questions

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 07:00:30 +0000 clfitz@ns1.cwv.net writes:

>Now, some questions about my '81:
>
>1-My engine says 1.6 H; does this mean it's a JH engine?

It says this on the back of the block, right? (Below the #3 & #4 cylinder
and 6-8 inches from the tranny mount bolts on the back of the block.)
The "H" (If there is an "H" on the back) means it was manufactured in
Germany for the Dodge Omni. It was a 1.7L. I've never seen both stamps on
the back of the block.
What does the code say on the front??

>4-Is changing struts on front and rear as easy as it looks?  I'm
>talking about the entire assembly, not just the cartridges.

Changing the rear shocks can be done without any special tools, although
id not recommend it. You should at least have a spring compressor....
OOPS, you mean the entire assy. Its very easy. The rears are very quick
to swap out. 2 nuts inside the rear hatch and 2 bolts under the car. R&R
all done. The fronts are a little more tricky in that, you will need to
have the car aligned after the swap is made.
Basically you will remove 2 bolts at the bottom of the strut and 2 nuts
at the top and the assy falls out. (Do I need to say that in order to do
this job you will need to  jack up the car to remove all 4?) Simple as
that. Should'nt take you more than an hour at the latest I wouldn't
think.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and