From: lleff@imisys.com
To: srsvw@pop.tiac.net
Cc: glxtasy@juno.com, jdw8@po.CWRU.Edu
Subject: EIP
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 09:39:58 -0500

Bob -

It looks as though someone else is having similar luck with EIP.  Just
how
long can these boneheads stay in business????

Pay special note to the P.S.

Lar!

Ken:  Post this to the GTI list.

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 21:19:39 EST
From: UndrSteer <UndrSteer@aol.com>
To: corrado-l@corrado-club.com, EIPTUNING@aol.com
Subject: VR6 swap progress @ EIP
Hey all,
Yes, it should have been done 7 days ago.  Ahh well.
Well, it all amounts to different directions that we could go with this
swap,
how much I want to spend, and parts availability.
Initially this past summer, I called Rich and inquired as to the cost of
parts
and labor.  I told rich I had a '97 VR6 car and I wanted to put the whole
suspension and engine and everything into my corrado G60.  He said labor
for a
swap into a corrado would run $750-$1000, and mentioned they just wrapped
up
yet another swap into a corrado.  I asked about extra parts, and he
replied
I'd need a VR6 hood and a front crossmember.  I said "Great!"  And began
planning for when I'd want it done.
Well shortly after, I told them to put me down in the books (this is mid-
september) for dropping off my stuff at Thanksgiving and picking it up at
Christmas.  They said, "no prob."
Well a week before bringing it down, I called down just to say Hi and JJ
mentioned that I need a C VR6 radiator, fans, core support, and another
piece
of the subframe (K-frame) besides the front crossmember.  Great, I
thought.
One week is plenty of notice so I can source out the parts (note the
sarcasm).
JJ mentioned that he had the parts there and gave me a pretty nice price
on
them so I accepted.
When I went down there, I dropped off the car and my parts, met everyone,
and
got the grand tour.  As they were writing up my "form," I inquired as to
hidden costs and such.  We started to itemize and Rich mentioned that the
labor would be $1500.00.  I said, "What????"  I then reminded him that he
told
me over the phone that it would be $750-$1000 for a complete swap ---> a
corrado.  So he said they'd "try to keep the bill near $1000."  Note the
frown
on my face and hint of steam from my ears.  Also, that was the day that
they
decided to let me know that I needed a corrado VR6 guage cluster.  Great.
Shortly afterwards, my car was stripped.
Before they began installation of everything, they wanted to make sure
that
they knew exactly what I wanted done.  I was supposed to call them the
following monday, but was on vacation that week and didn't get a chance.
The
following week I never got thru to someone of importance (Rich, JJ, etc.)
so 2
weeks later all was still on hold (nobody's fault).  Finally, I talked to
JJ
and we decided that since some of my ABS parts were damaged and that I
could
cut costs by bagging it.  So I did.
A week later (the day my car was supposed to be done, car still stripped
and
untouched) they noticed that the whole rear axle from the GTI wasn't
compatible.  I thought they'd done this swap before!  ????  So now they
recommend that I don't do plus suspension; just take the outer CV"s from
the
VR6 and put it over my G60 halfshafts.
At first I agreed, but that night I got pretty disgusted with how this is
all
turning out (no ABS [eh], no plus suspension, hybrid driveshafts, ???).
called back the next day and talked to Steve (the guy who's in charge of
my
car).  He mentioned stuff about incompatibilities between the corrado ABS
and
A3 ABS and other things.  I told him to piece together everything I'd
need
have a complete SLC (meaning I want plus suspension, and if you need ABS
do
it, then put it on).  I was led to believe that I couldn't do one without
the
other because of a proportioning valve that's on the VR6 rear axle is
setup
for ABS, so I might *have* to do ABS, but if I can avoid it then I will.
So Steve was supposed to have a lil' report ready for me today (monday)
for
us
to discuss, but he never got around to it so I have nothing to report
about
which direction my car will be going.  Maybe tomorrow.
If I had known it was going to get this complicated, I probably wouldn't
have
done it.  Perhaps that's why they stripped my car the day after it got
there,
to deter me from changing my mind when the hidden costs start to pop up.
Clever.
I dunno though; it might not be that bad.  All I can say is, a
respectable
shop would have been trading me straight up for my incompatible parts
(corrado
core support for A3 core support, corrado ABS for A3 abs, corrado rear
axle
for A3 rear axle, guage cluster for guage cluster, all the way...).  That
is
the proper thing to do, ONLY because I was INITALLY told that all I'd
need
would be a crossmember and a hood.  These extra parts are really adding
up
and
they never mentioned them before.  I am not at all happy with it right
now
and
if they don't start absorbing some of this stuff by trading straight up
for
my
parts (rear axle, master cyl, etc), I will be very disappointed (and
broke).
Oh well, that's just taking money from my EIP Turbo fund.
There's still time for this to make a turn for the better; if Steve calls
me
tomorrow and tells me he pieced together the parts needed to put plus
suspension (and ABS if needed) on my car AND that they'll trade me
straight
up
for MY '97 parts (rear axle and master cyl), that'll put a smile back on
my
face and keep my business there too.  I guess I'll have to wait and see
if
the
phone even rings tomorrow.  There are an equal amount of +'s and -'s in
this
experience so far....this will be the deciding factor for me.
Sigh,
Chris Taylor
PS, Leff--I don't wanna hear a word from you!!  :-)