From: clfitz@ns1.cwv.net
To: scirocco-l@privateI.com
Subject: CAUTION on sunroof, some questions
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 07:00:30 +0000

Hey, folks!

Those of you thinking about sunroof transplants should be aware that
you'll seriously compromise the integrity of a unit-body car.  At
best, you'll soon have more squeaks and rattles than you can keep up
with; it will eventually leak, too.  At worst, you'll ruin the car's
stability and handling.  If you do decide to go ahead with the
transplant, at least weld some extra bracing both in the roof and
under the car.  I know this because it happened to me, not in a
Scirocco, but another car I had years ago (OK, it *was* a Mustang).

Now, some questions about my '81:

1-My engine says 1.6 H; does this mean it's a JH engine?

2-My car idles at about 1200, and it feels as though it's laboring
while idling.  The idle is rough, too.  I have to rev to about 1500
before I pull off from a stop or it'll stall. Everything seems to
smooth out at about 3,000, but the car still feels weak; when going
uphill, I sometimes have to shift down to third to maintain speed.
When I did a tune-up two days ago, the #4 plug looked as though it
had never fired!  I don't think I've driven it enough yet to check
the new plugs, but something tells me that the new one will be the
same.  What's causing this??

3-How different are the dash electricals from a '79?  It has some
minor problems that I'd like to tackle, but the new Bentley I ordered
won't be here for a few weeks.  I have the Bentley for Sciroccos up
to '79.  I'm thinking about swapping an old ('78, I think) instrument
cluster into my car, and I'm hoping everything will work.

4-Is changing struts on front and rear as easy as it looks?  I'm
talking about the entire assembly, not just the cartridges.

Once again, thanks in advance!

Carlee