electrical poltergeist

Hi, everyone!

I went today and picked up the '81 that Todd was helping sell for his
friend, and it's everything that it sounded like; straight, clean,
even the tape player works!  But. . .

It has an electrical problem.  The lights suddenly brighten for no
reason at all.  I'm not talking about the classic loose-alternator
belt problem, where the lights brighten and dim with rpm.  This
happens seemingly at random, and is coincident with a *drop* in rpm,
as though I had turned on the air conditioner.  It usually, but not
always, occurs at low rpm.  Bumps in the road don't make it happen or
make it stop.

When I say the lights brighten, I mean they *brighten*!  The lights
on the car are not quatz-halogen, but when they're in bright mode,
they could burn the paint off cars in front.  When this isn't
happening, the lighting is adequate.

The fan speeds up when this happens, too, and all the dash lights get
super-bright as well.

Any ideas, anyone?  The car is a 1981, five-speed manual,
aid-conditioned, and super-clean under the hood.  (Did you do that,
Todd?)

Thanks in advance!

Carlee