Re: the mad bastard <stoopid@idirect.com>: m3ed 320e

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997 08:46:23 -0500 mark.peele@juno.com (Mark A. Peele)
writes:
>If you buy a "cheap" BMW, be prepared to pay a least three times as
>much for parts - I'll keep my BMW burning VWs . . .
> . . . Mark

I dunno Mark. I bought my 77 320i in Germany in 85 for $400 from a
leaving GI. It passed all Germany's strict inspections and after the
engine blew, I found a 6 seried I-6 and tranny from the PDO (I dunno what
it means, basically its a junkyard for GI's in Weisbaden.) lot and over
the course of a weekend in the hanger, me and some buddies (every GI has
buddies) managed to modify and install that powerplant into my 320i.
(lots of mods...) So, total bill when it was all said and done:
eng/trans			$80.00
fox radiators (2) 		$20.00
cases of good german beer :)	$23.00
+odds ends		$60.00
			---------
			$173.00+

Not bad since we took it out on the autobahn with most everybody that
helped work on the car for the weekend. (it was funny seeing a huge 50
ton crane hoisting a litty bitty engine up into the air!) First speed run
netted 130mph. Empty it ran 145mph. I had a screamer for $573. Lotsa help
didn't hurt either.....
I'll keep my VW's too. They're more fun.... except for when you blow a
head gasket. Damn LED never blinked...

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   KABOOM!!!        82' Scirocco GTi
86 Subaru Wagon <-always runs when one or the other VW's are broken!
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and