Building a beginning

I'm a newbie Scirocco subscriber - just started reading a week ago
Wednesday.  I live in Newport News, Va and recently bought a
1984 Rabbit GTI engine and close-ratio 5-spd tranny for a song.
My intentions are to drop it into an '81 or earlier Scirocco - comments
or suggestions on good years?  Anybody know of any Sciroccos
for sale (doesn't have to run, but I want little or no rust)?  For which
vehicle (model and year(s)) did VW produce the OEM forged steel
92.8mm crankshaft?  Who sells cast pistons which work with the
92.8mm crank and have a Compression Ratio around 9:1?  Anybody
need a ported and polished 1.6L cylinder head?

"The hardest part of any journey is the first step..."
 - Ancient Proverb
"Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools..."
 - Rom 1:22
William