Re: autocrossers, on snow

---Arno Pae <arno@ddbn.ee> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can someone give some advice about when driving on snow?
>
> I know i have to turn the car before the curve with left foot
braking, then
> get it out of the curve with steering it. (right? I dunno much..)
What do I
> do with the gas? What do I do when the curve comes to early? I don't
have
> any experience really so it would be damn interesthing for me if
someone
> would bother to throw in a copple of basics ..

Ahh, I hate salt but love the fun with the snow.  My Jetta GLi is my
snowmobile for the winter.  I went down to 13" steel wheels with
Dunlop Graspic 100 snow tires on each corner.

Well, in answer to your questions, keep the Gas on to the point where
you are not 'spinning' your wheels, and point the front tires where
you want to go.  Much of the same rules apply, unbalanceing the car my
braking or inconsistant gas are your pitfalls.  You may want to be up
a gear as well, in other words if it would normally be a 1st gear
corner, keep it in 2nd.  You don't want power in these situations.
And obviously the front wheel drive turn into your 'loss of control'
if you loose control.

A great book that covers everyhing including snow/ice driveing with
blurbs for front wheeler is the "Porsche High Performance Driving
Handbook" by Vic Elford.

==
-Paul
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan