Re: fuel pressure relief

the mad bastard wrote:

> Dondria Wallace wrote:
> >
> > Sean Rabey wrote:
> > >
> > >         Just got a new bosch fuel filter for my 16V.  Anyone have any tips
> > > or warnings about installing it, or is it a basic unbolt-put in-tighten,
> > > type replacement?
> >
> >         The system is under pressure.  There is no easy way to relieve that
> > pressure, and you'll have a spray when you crack the line. I just did it
> > on my 16v.  Take your time!  You'll lose about half a cup of gas, but it
> > will come out quickly.  Use eye protection.  Once this is done, then it
> > is an easy replacement.  Make sure you use a backup wrench too.
>
>         Would you be able to relieve pressure in the system by pulling the fuel
> pump relay and turning the car over for a bit??  For some reason this
> makes a bit of sense to me.  Of course, all of my mechanical training
> has been from this list, so maybe I'm jus' lost :)
>
> jason
> the mad bastard

Well,

	I tried pulling the fuel pump fuse and letting the engine stop on it's
own, which it did.  This is the procedure in the Chilton book.  My Bosch
Fuel Injection book stated that this would not work with 16v
engines(injectors close on engine shutdown, retaining pressure in the
system), and when I cracked the line at the fuel filter, I got a good
spray, so I'd say that it doesn't work.  Others claim that it will and
has.

Lloyd