Re: Springs

At 11:22 PM -0500 12/16/1997, Jim Buck wrote:
>Paul Krucke wrote:
>>
>> In my conversion back to Stock for SCCA E-Stock class racing, I will
>> be going back to my stock springs.  Before I put the 'originals' back
>> on the car, is there any way to test them?
>
>I think so, but these springs on Scirocco 16v's seem to hold up rather
>well, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Right, I agree.  You could put them on a spring tester to see what rate
they are - most race shops have one(a bottle jack in a presslike thing, a
little scale sensor under the lower pad, and something to measure inches of
travel).  They probably have decent rate - AFAIK, springs can't really lose
rate, but they can lose free length, making the car sit lower or a bit
cockeyed....

>Prior to removing them at 117k the car had a good stance (no sag, etc.)
>Should I put these back on or spring (no pun intended) for NEW VW
>springs?
>
>Spring sag to a certain degree is allowable and desirable for better
>handling, provided you have properly valved shocks, e.g. Konis.
>Anything to counter the 4X4 look is good for handling too.

I agree, but in the strictest sense of the rules, a sagging spring will
result in a lower ride height; lowered ride heights are explicitly illegal
in Stock.  _Probably_ not an issue on the local level, but if you want to
be absolutely on the up and up, a new set is in order.  First generation
RX7s rear springs sag badly, resulting in "poopie drawers" and a lousy ride
- VWs are not too bad.  I'd probably just leave them be, maybe research
stock spring prices, and if someone complains(rarely do people protest at
events without talking to the competitor), tell them that they are
original, sagging springs(if they are sagging), and you plan to replace
them.  Chances are, they are fine.  Before you put them in, measure the
springs length - if not the same, put the longer ones on the driver's side
- they'd be only slightly longer, if any - 1/8" or so, but every little
bit, eh?  Heh.  Plus, "new" springs might not be any better, I've heard of
people buying "new" springs for various cars and getting lower-than-before
heights(not on VWs, it was a Honda), so who knows.  They're probably fine,
IMHO.

I.Mannix