Re: I'm in some trouble

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Rich Deede----TOOL FAN wrote:

|$800 dollars you say, thats assuming that I can install all that stuff on
|my own and I am in no way even close to a mechanic.  And that's also
|assuming that I have 800 bucks to spend, which with me being in school is
|real tought to come by.  I appreciate the help though.

One of the most important things to remember is thta you don't have to do
all of these repairs at once, or in a short timeframe. Make a list and
order them by how serious they are. ie: unless your muffler is sparking on
the ground, or you sound like an A1 Abrams tank going down the street,
pass on it for now.

I've got a list of items that my car needs, that I've been slowly
whacking away at... the car is driveable, definately, adn I bet yours is
too,b ut it could be better.

Get a second opinion from another mechanic. Find some guy running a little
shop who';s been a VW mechanic or is a certified master mechanic by VW. If
you find an honest mechanic who's concerned and interested in your
continued business, he'll go out of his way for you. A rare find? maybe.
Just my opinion.

Last. the Bentley has saved me HUNDREDS, both in repairs that I learned to
do on my own, as well as the fact that when I took it in to the mechanic I
had the problem diagnosed, the parts ordered cheap and all I had to do was
say, "plop these babies in!". You're less likely to be taken advantage of
it a mech. feels you know at least a bit of what's going on.

~C

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-292-6658