From: Christopher Mende <csmende@bayern.me.iastate.edu>
Subject: Plugs and Thumps
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:05:30 -0600 (CST)

I popped in those triple electrode Bosch plugs the other day, and I would
have to say I noticed a marked improvement over my plantinums. I was glad
to see that all 4 plugs were nice and tan.

Bentley says torque the plugs to 25-30 N's, but that seemed a bit high to
me... I was a bit leery taking it that far, since I really didn't know
what kind of previous abuse my car may have suffered in that dept. It was
about 35 degrees out when I changed em...is it possible for temps to
affect a torque wrench much? I thought perhaps it was misreading due to
the cold...

Also, I need some help here...

In each gear, if I drop the clutch with anything other than a feather
touch, I can hear and feel a thunk as everything engages. A mechanic told
me my 'final drive gear' is worn. Does this sound like the case, or could
it be just a problem with an old clutch? The clutch grinds going into
third, and pops out of second at times. The clunking happens in all
gears.

Any rec's for a replacement? I've heard good things about sachs sport
clutches. I tend to be an aggressive driver, I usually take the old 8v to
around 4500 or more in each gear before I shift... (with a warm engine,
of
course!) :)

Thanks for all your help gals and guys!

~C

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-292-6658