Re: H Stock Jetta III autoX mods

At 6:36 PM -0500 12/13/1997, Jim Buck wrote:
>Sorry I brought up the ST class thing.

No need whatsoever to apologize!  I think it was a valid suggestion, I just
thought that with $1000 and "competitive" as factors, it is not the best
choice.

  I just thought the guy might
>want to share the benefits of his mods on the street, most notably a
>lowered suspension and various appearance items.  If the guy wants to
>win H-stock nationals in a 1994 Jetta, rock on!  Otherwise, he can have
>a car in ST that will handle pretty good on the course, and look great
>on the street.

I agree - if competitiveness is what he's after, I believe he'll get closer
with $1000 in HS, but he very well may want to do some of the things
allowed in ST.

 I say this with some credibility.  I run a stock class
>car and own an A3 Jetta.  If I ever ran the Jetta, no doubt it would be
>in ST.

Why is that?  Curious.  HS is theoretically a slow class(although it does
not turn out that way).  ST is "all under 2.4 liters, except the ACR."
Hmmmm.  I can think of a few cars which might be problematic - Sentra 200SX
SE-R without an LSD?  That's a DS car - the Jetta is HS - I'd guess that
with the same prep on each, the DS car will still go faster than the HS
car.

>From a fun standpoint, I see ST as a great option, but like I said, I want
to win, and I'm not sure the HS Jetta is going to shine that brightly in
ST.  That's just me.

And of course, if it were me, I'd be looking at DSP:).  Street Prepared is
expensive, but also competitive, and a really fun place to be.  Anyhow,
don't apologize - I think we all value your opinion, and discussion of this
sort is good - I know I enjoy discussion about Solo/motorsport!

I.Mannix