Re: Hood lifts.

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:19:27 -0600 (CST) Christopher Mende
<csmende@bayern.me.iastate.edu> writes:

>Has anyone attached lifts to their hood? I seem to remember seeing this
>mod SOMEWHERE... If any of you have tried it, what size/make lifts did
you
>use?

Pfunny you ask. I picked the Pottermans brain (didn't take long.) on this
topic but I only got grief from him. In fact, it was at the Autotech show
the year before last. A couple A3's have them on their cars and I just
love the way they look and best of all, when im working on my car,
there's no damn prop rod for me to dislocate from the car and the hood
remind me what gravity will do to the human skull when its in the flight
path of a hood.
I think it can be done! I just haven't had the spare cash to investigate
doing the job myself.  Id like to have a little longer lift so the hood
is at about an 70 degree stance. __\
Its just a matter of doing some research. Mounting the lift to the hood
is where the problem would lie. Making it strong enough to withstand
multiple openings and closings is the key. Just taping into the hood
brace wouldn't be strong enough, IMHO. Using the hood mount location
would be key I think. That would mean possible cutting the firewall rain
tray to fit the lift there at a resting location? I dunno for sure but im
definitely interested in adding these little gizmo's.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and