Re: Welding up the diff.

At 5:36 PM +0004 12/10/1997, Ken Buck wrote:
>Hey Mannix, dirts for real racing, ya now, like demolition derby in a
>circle.  Jim Buck has seen my dirt Scirocco.

Oh....

>Just remember, autoxing is not racing, just ask our insurance
>writers.

Never forgot that.  I don't consider autocross "racing."  Actually, I am
one of the rhetoric wierdos who cringes when people call it "racing."

The biggest problem with the idea that autocross does not equal racing is
this:  Drag racing is "racing?"  Is it?  If yes(I'd guess it is, being that
"racing" is right in the name), what is ProSolo2?  Is that not dragracing
with corners?  It sure seems a lot like drag racing to me, and if drag
racing is "racing," well, what are ProSolo2 events?

Then SoloI/hillclimb/rally - are these events "racing?"  The SCCA looks at
SoloI in a manner similar to roadracing, but is it?  How about Solo Trials?
Where's that fit?  SoloI with runoff.  If SoloI and ProRally are racing,
along with hillclimbs, is the difference between racing and non-racing
runoff, or some magical miles-per-hour number?  Combination thereof?
Things I think about.

>Anyway, everyone please understand welding the front is very
>different then welding the  diff in a rear wheel drive.  With FWD,
>you are connectiong the drive wheels, which turn and give a very
>different distance around a circle.  Welding the rear isn't as hard
>on the vehicle.  Yes the car will understeer like a pig, worse then a
>Mustang.

Right.  A RWD will understeer more, especially on dirt with a locked rear
end, but nothing like a FWD.  I'd like to drive a welded/locked FWD car
sometime, seee what it is like.  I don't think too many people do it, never
heard of an autocross car being welded, but it seems to be a semi-common
FWD roadrace trick - must make driving the car interesting, to say the
least.  Anyhow.  SoloII is not "racing," but that in mind, I don't know
what is anymore.  On one hand, it sure seems like it is "racing" beyond the
insurance writers, if dragracing is in fact dragracing(unless a drag car
making a pass without anyone else on the other lane is all of a sudden not
racing), ProSolo2 seems to throw something into the works, ahh, hell, it is
all fun.

Going to Topeka next year, Ken?  Where's the Tour in PA this year, do you
know?  How's the site?  If the timing is right, I might make it to the
northeastern most Tour this year, combine it with a trip home.  Bumpy site?
Smooth?  Let me know....

I.Mannix