Re: metal speedo gears?

> > From: Ryan Schuermann <rts@phoenix.net>
> > anyone have a line on where i can get some metal speedo gears? I have
> > no clue but a friend asked me to ask around for them, seems his broke
> > and he's glued it back together but it's about on it's way out again.
>
> There's only one metal gear that comes to mind in the speedo and it's for
> the odometer.  If it's the metal gear on the end that the rod that goes
> through the numbers (if that makes sense), the hole in the gear widens over
> time.  Then the gear doesn't or only sometimes turns the odometer.  To fix
> it you must remove the gear, tap the part around the hole to close the hole
> up a little, and then put it back on the rod.  Use caution to not bend the
> rod.   I added some glue after doing this last time.
>
> Good luck! It's not fun and may be worth paying a speedo shop to fix.
>
> Gregory S. Davis

I've ripped down gauge clusters several times, and cracked open the odometer
to fix this problem 3 times.  I consider myself good at by now. :-)  I'd
still give myself an hour and half for the odometer gear fix though.  I
don't consider it a really difficult job, and there's an FAQ on this
procedure on Jan's web page.  Oh, and the way I have found to fix the
slipping gear at (both) ends of the numeric shaft is to tightly grip
the rod with a pair of needle nose vice grips.  This knurls, or chews-up
the rod a bit and creates burrs that the slipping gear can get a grip on.
Push the gear back on (you'll find it MUCH more difficult then taking it
off.  This just means that you're doing a good job), and reinsert the odo
numerals.  This is the hardest part, getting all the odo numbers lined up,
working, and at the correct milage.  I've never gotten this correct the
first time putting one of these things back together, but I've always gotten
it the second time. :-)   Anyway, I think it's something that a mechanically
competent person can do to save themselves a lot of 'pay-for-play'
shop time.

==Brett