Re: W8 Musings

Aaron D. Patton wrote:

> Has anybody actually taken the time to consider exactly HOW a W8
> engine would be constructed?  A W12 works because 12 is easily divided
> by 3...giving 3 banks of 4 cylinders each.  Exactly how do you divide
> 8 by three to get 3 banks of cylinders with equal numbers?  You don't,
> that's how.  A small V8 is very possible, look at the one Suzuki has
> in one of their current show cars: 1.6(!!!!) litres, 4-cams, 4
> valves-per-cylinder, twin intercooled turbos, 250HP.  Light, compact,
> and powerful.
> I personally think that a version of Audi's 5-valve V6 with maybe
> 250-275HP, in a Synchro GTI would be pretty cool.
> Oh well, just my $.02.
> ADP

Here's the way I understand it:   \ 11 /  where each line represents a
cylinder bank as viewed parallel with the crank.

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'83 GTi  <--- new
'82 diesel pickup
'69 baja Beetle
parts cars - '80 Rabbit diesel, '86 GTi, '87 16v Scirocco, '88 16v GTi
website - http://www.prod.net/jvanvuren/vw.htm