Re: Tbody and Plugs.

At 5:13 PM -0600 12/02/1997, Christopher Mende wrote:
>Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice:
>
>I'm going to put some new plugs in my 8v and am looking for
>recommendations.  Have any of you guys tried the "Splitfire" plugs w/ two
>prongs?? Good, bad, indifferent.

Bad.  Lousy.  I've seen several Splitfires go in with "V" shaped tips, come
out with a sorta normal looking tip - the ends of the "V" either burned or
broke off.  That's a sizeable chunk of metal to dump into your cylinder, so
lets hope they broke off.

I've had good luck with Bosch triple electrodes - many say the triple
electrode is "bad" for the 8v engine.  I don't know what's bad about them,
my car ran just fine while using them.

I am currently using NGK plugs, which I like a LOT better than the Bosch
plugs, but I've only used them with a high output coil/ignition system.
They're expensive - $8 each, but if someone is interested in a better
ignition than Bosch, I can keep you updated.  The plugs/wires/coil are
currently available, the ignition box is not 100% finished(although I have
one and it works well, friends with the ignition manufacturer).  Kevin has
some of the Secret Ignition stuff, as does Darrell Adams.  What do you guys
think of it?  The complete ignition showed a 3.5% gain on the dyno - I've
mentioned it in the past, but it is taking a while to get to market.  A few
VW people are using their stuff, as well as some Porsche club people, it is
on a few Camaros, among other things.  Damned fine stuff, hopefully soon
it'll be available....

Side note, Bosch is good, but it is not the best for ignition.  It _can_ be
improved upon.  It is reliable, works well, but I don't believe it is the
absolute best from a performance standpoint.  I guess I just get sick of
hearing people say "BOSH(heh) is the only ignition stuff to use, BOSH is
the best...."  Wow, hook, line and sinker.  Sorry.  I was reluctant to
change - Bosch is good, and how much better can an ignition be?  What about
my Hall sender?  Reliability?  I tried it, hhhmmmmph.  Not bad.  Car drives
better, no smoke from under the hood, well, sir, I think I like it.
Nothing wrong with using Bosch, but other ignitions can and do make more
power, seemingly without any reliability problems.

>On another note, I've decided to try the Audi 5000 TB project. I know the
>87 will fit, are there any other years? I know little about the 5000 line.

85 and up Golf.  They're bigger, same size as the Neuspeed on my car,
easier(lots) to find than a Audi 5k body.  Change linkage, away you go.
Change the idle screw to the one on your current body - some Golf T-bodies
used a slotted screw, while the A1 bodies use a 7mm hex.  Some dork on this
list put one on his Scirocco and the chucklehead who helped him change the
body did not address this, so now he has to use a Toyota alignment shim to
change the idle.  Duh.  Anyway......

Iain