Re: fuel pump

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Anders Matson wrote:
> I have a Scirocco GTI -78
>

> My fuel pump has stopped working, but it's not the pump itself. It's an
> electrical error. The fuse concerning the fuel pump is ok.

The fuel pump circuit is a little bit more complicated than just a fuse
and a wire to the pump, but not much.

A special relay is used that senses pulses from the coil.  When they are
present, it will turn on and send DC to the pump.  You could have one of
several things wrong:

  - The pump is broken.  Have you wired it up directly to check this?
  - The relay is shot, or associated wiring in/near the fuse box is bad.
  - The relay is no longer getting pulses from the coil.
  - Bad ground somewhere - no ground to the pump.