My letter to Eric Kent at VDO

Perhaps I didn't use the phrase "vast majority" correctly in that sentence.

My intent was to refute your claim that "the vast majority of VDO odometers
[in 1980's Volkswagens] have a life span in excess of the original
vehicle".  It is my contention that a significant number of the 1980's
Volkswagens that are still in service have VDO speedometers that have
failed or are malfunctioning, with the cracking of the odometer drive gear
being the most common problem.

It helps obviously helps your case that many 1980's Volkswagens are no
longer in service due to things like body damage and corrosion.  But, we
must also keep in mind that many of these failures go unreported.

My experience and the experience of countless others has been that VDO
odometers are especially prone to failure after approximately 10 years or
100,000 miles.  I consider this premature failure because 1) a VW can last
for much longer than that if properly maintained, and 2) the VDO odometer
has six digits which indicates that it can and should function well into
hundreds of thousands of miles range.

I will not return my instrument cluster to VDO because I was already
foolish enough to attempt repair on the failing odometer.  However, it
would be of tremendous help to many VW owners if VDO would just agree to
sell or otherwise distribute replacement odometer drive gears.

Sincerely,
Bradley Peet